City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments #1)

Author: Cassandra Clare
Published February 19th 2008 by McElderry (first published March 27th 2007)
485 pages
Series: The Mortal Instuments
Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Summary:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder—much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with odd markings. This is Clary’s first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It’s also her first encounter with gorgeous, golden-haired Jace. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace’s world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...
Review:

Well, what can I say? I have mixed emotions. I'm not sure if I love it or hate it. There were some parts that I totally love reading but some parts were just too much to bear!

The book has been on my shelf for months and I just couldn't bring myself to read it. Maybe because of lack of time, or I just don't want myself reading it only because of the hype it gets. Finally, I decided to read it since it's vacation and I can read it without too much distractions like school. heh!

So it started out fine. It's not like the other books that you will just judge based on the first few chapters. You have to keep reading to decide whether it's a good read or not. After reading the first part, well, I was a little confused. Information overload! There were jargons from the world of Shadowhunters. I was like Clary, feeling confused. The book got better on the second part. I finally understood why the book's title is City of Bones. It became more enjoyable especially with all the action-packed, romance and the "unraveling the truth" parts. Well there's this one truth that I just don't get. I think it's stupid. It's supposed to be tragic because of the feeling that has already arisen... I don't want to spoil!!! oh, my favorite chapter is The Midnight Flower. :)

The characters are likable and well developed. Miss Clare is good in describing her characters. Clary is one tough chick. If I was the one who can see creatures I'm not supposed to see, I'd totally freak out! And then we have Jace, the lovable Jace. Girls are swooning over him. Not the girls from the book okay! I think it's because of how Jace's personality was introduced in the book. Quite arrogant but still lovable.

The reason why I have mixed feelings on this one is because of the story building. The whole concept is good but some parts are irrelevant in my opinion. The twists about the characters, hmm not great. Surprising yes, but I think they totally ruined the reader's imagination. I don't know. It's quite hard to explain. In Filipino, if you read a good twist you'd say, "Aaah, kaya pala ganun!" but a bad one would be "Nyeh ano kaya yun!?". I'm out of my mind.

Reading City of Bones was like a roller coaster ride. It has it's ups and downs, twists and turns. I guess it was still an enjoyable ride. :)

♥ xoxo, Edil ♥

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love here! :)

The Book Lovers

Amuse Me!

The Book Fancier

The Book Fancier
Insanely bound by books!

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
Edil has read 30 books toward her goal of 75 books.
hide

The Book Shelf

Flipped
Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
The Lonely Hearts Club
Anna and the French Kiss
Inside Out
If I Stay
The Iron Queen
The Lucky One
Magic Bleeds
Wicked Lovely
Mieradome
This Girl Is Different
Magic Strikes
The Iron Daughter
Magic Burns
The Awakening
The Mysterious Benedict Society
The Iron King
Daughter of the Forest
Pretties


Edil's favorite books »
}
The Book Fancier. Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP